Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Evil Roger

Our neighbor Bill has a ton of chickens that he keeps on our property. He had to go out of town this week, so we agreed to be on chicken duty while he was gone. The girls love the chickens and have named them all like pets. So I don't mind having them out back (except when they escape and run amok, but that's another story!) Recently Bill got two new roosters in addition to the one that was already there. The old one, Peter, is noisy but fine. One of the new ones, Shiloh, is sweet and quiet and the girls love him. Then there is Roger...he is an awful beast and I hate him. He is very aggressive and mean and has come after the girls and I on several occasions. This morning Roger attacked Maryn and Brynna when they went to get eggs. I was getting ready to get in the shower and realized they were taking longer than usual to collect eggs. Sometimes they stay outside after making their rounds and play, so I wasn't too worried. But I thought I'd better check on them before getting in the shower just to make sure they were okay. I went outside and called for them and panicked cries came out of the hen house. Maryn was crying "Mom!! Roger attacked us and now we're stuck in here!" He had cornered them in the hen house so they couldn't get out. They'd been in there crying for about 20 minutes. Roger also had escaped through the gate with the bitties and there were about 20 of them in the rose garden while he stood guarding the entrance to the chicken yard. Little beast. I had to protect the girls with a lawn chair while I rescued them out of their stinky prison and then had to fend Roger off as he charged me while I tried to get all the chickens back in their yard. Poor kids were so traumatized. Roger has taken one of their favorite things about living here and made it scary now. I think Mr. Bill may need to have a chicken dinner soon. I don't want that beastly animal in my backyard anymore!
This video was taken Saturday morning when Roger was actually behaving himself. Too bad that was short-lived!

1 comment:

  1. Oh the life in the country!! Love the memories ya'll are making!!

    ReplyDelete