Saturday, November 13, 2010

So Nice!

Raindrops on windows and whiskers on kittens... Okay, so my favorite things list may not exactly match Maria's from 'The Sound of Music', but I have had some simple favorites this weekend!
Last night the kids and I had an impromptu slumber party at my parent's house. Justin was calling a football game and I knew he would be out super, super late. So my Dad took me, my mom, my brother, Matt, and my Little Women all out for pizza. We went back to my folks' house afterwards and watched a movie with the kids. It was around bedtime and the kids were getting sleepy, but we decided why should I go home to an empty house?! So we threw some t-shirts on the kids and put them in the guest bedroom while my mom and I watched HGTV 'House Hunters International' for about three hours! It was divine! You're probably thinking what's the big deal? When we moved into our place in May though, I decided not to get the cable hooked up. Which means NO TV! Justin and I will watch episodes of shows on hulu and stuff, but there is no mindless vegging out in front of a TV around here. So it was kind of nice to be lazy and just watch TV all night.
This morning when we got up my Mom made blueberry pancakes. Which made me happy because A.) I never met anything blueberry I didn't like and B.) Being a mom is a lot of dang work. It was nice to wake up and just be able to sit up at the table and talk to my mom while she made breakfast, rather than me being the one to wrangle everything. It was just very nice.

Justin has been working a lot this Football season, six days a week most weeks and long days. Which means that I fly solo with the kids quite a bit. Time to myself is kind of unheard of and most days the sheer noise and energy of our house leaves me pretty pooped. Justin had today off from covering games though. So after breakfast the kids and I came home, I showered and then left Justin with all the girls so I could go offer service by cleaning the church building. After that I did something I can never do when I have my crew with me...I went into Real Deals, which is a home decor store, with my Mom. I browsed as long as I wanted, I didn't have to say "Look with your eyes, not your hands." a bazillion times. I didn't have to worry about the fact that I was surrounded by a million little breakables. I was only in charge of ME and it was just so NICE!

Then we hooked back up with my Dad and brother and went out to Mexican for lunch. I didn't have to wipe up spills or remind bottoms to stay in their seats or say "Close your mouth while you're chewing!" After that I went to the grocery store by myself. Which may not seem exciting, but if you've done it with four squirrelly kids, you would not question the value of a solo expedition to the grocery store! It's all about the little things folks!
On the way home it was cold and wet and dreary. Bah! Then I remembered Justin had given me a Dutch Bros. coupon for a free drink that was bouncing around in my purse. I hadn't used it because I always have the kids with me and I knew I couldn't just get something for me without a verbal assault of "What are you getting for me?!!" So I took advantage of my aloneness and ordered a Pumpkin Pie Steamer! Mmmmmm! For those of you who don't drink coffee like me, the Steamer is the way to go! It's just warmed milk with any flavoring you like and they are delicious! So that made me very happy and like a good Mommy I even shared some sips with the kids when I got home.

Then I snuggled Devy in front of the fireplace and dozed off a bit. I told Justin that today was EXACTLY what I've been needing. A little 'me' time, to be unproductive and just take a breather. I could totally make this an every Saturday tradition! ;)

2 comments:

  1. Sarah, you're adorable. I always love your posts!!! I'm glad you're feeling refreshed & that you got to spend some time with your family. I sure love your family.

    p.s. - is Matt visiting or did he move back up there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are pretty awesome Hayley! I totally lucked out in the family department! Matt has moved back to Roseburg. It's been fun for the girls to get to hang out with their Uncle!

    ReplyDelete