Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Lost In Two-Year-Old Translation

I just pulled five loaves of Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread out of the oven and it smells divine! That cozy smell of cinnamon, nutmeg, chocolate and pumpkin! Oh baby! Lauryn was my sidekick while I was making the batter. I was opening the can of pumpkin and she said "What dat, Momma?" and I told her "It's pumpkin, honey." She looked at me and then at the can incredulously and sternly told me "Dat NOT punkin, Mommy!!" It was like she was saying "Look, I know I'm two, but I'm no moron! I know what a pumpkin looks like and that ain't it!"

Then she disappeared for a few minutes. When she came back to check on me she said "What doing Momma?" I said "Baking" as I started to mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. She huffed at me again and said "Dat NOT bacon, Moooomm!! Dat soup!" I could see where she would think this orange, runny stuff was clearly not bacon. It looked just like the bean and bacon soup we had just eaten for lunch! Funny girl, she must think her Momma is totally off her rocker!

1 comment:

  1. I can totally hear little miss Lauryn saying "Dat" !!! I miss her little vocabulary!

    ReplyDelete