Friday, May 14, 2010

How Very 'Young'!

My mom knew that simplistic, little me had been craving the perfect set of basic white dishes. I love food and for me personally when I look at a plate, I want the food to be the centerpiece. So when my mom pointed these out to me in the Deseret Book catalog I was smitten! They fulfill the very basic, white element I want but also inject some special meaning in a subtle way. The dinnerware has a Beehive on the top of the plate and it reminded me of when I went to Utah and toured Brigham Young's house. He used the Beehive to symbolize the importance of a strong work ethic. I loved touring that house, the Beehive House, seeing how they lived and imagining the lives that unfolded there. The best part though was seeing the Bronze bust of 'Uncle Brigham' when I was touring the Conference Center and looking at his forehead and laughing, realizing it is the EXACT SAME one as my husband's. It felt really special to be able to tangibly see and touch pieces of Justin's family's past and know that same blood that ran through the veins of the people in that home now runs through my girl's veins. It was pretty awesome.

Another reason I love the Beehive is because my mom calls my girls "The Busy Bees" because well...they never stop! They are constantly buzzing around in perpetual motion. So I loved the Beehive on there for that reason too, it reminded me of my girls. So imagine my absolute delight and giddiness when my mom came home from a trip to Boise with eight place settings of these wonderful dishes for me! I am so grateful and look forward to serving so many family dinners on these dishes. Here's to many memorable meals in the Young family! Thank you SO MUCH Mom! I love you!

2 comments:

  1. Those are so you...simple and elegant. Maybe someday I'll get out there to eat on them or you'll come back to the South and we'll have tea time. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Sarah! Those are beautiful, and I love the deeper meaning that it holds for you and the generations that will be nourished by and gathered close to them. I'm awful happy for you!

    ReplyDelete